And that's why they call it Chain Bridge.....

The first bridge from McLean to DC rotted and collapsed in 1804. Its immediate successor, of similar construction, burned six months after its completion.

Four years passed before another bridge was completed at this site. The "Chain Bridge" was built in 1808 -- it was the third bridge at Little Falls, but the first to use chain suspension support. It was destroyed by flood in 1810.

The fourth bridge used similar construction but was severly damaged by floods in 1815, prompting the company to seek federal support. This bridge was replaced in 1840 by a new bridge built of chain and wood.